paxarette -Reply

WOOD, PETER CP.Wood at GNS.CRI.NZ
Tue Dec 3 03:02:12 CET 1996

Looks like some explanation and repetition is necessary...

Paxarete/paxarette is named after the town of Paxarete (or
Pajarete) in Jerez in Spain. It is said to be a boiled down
mixture of grape juice and fortified wine. It is defined in the
New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (and you need to be
familiar with English humour and the art of understatement to
realise that "Shorter" is true only in comparison with the size
of the ancient New English Dictionary).

I have never drunk or even seen paxarette, but I believe the
nearest readily available comparison would be Pedro J/Ximenez
sherry, which itself is hugely sweet and dark. Paxarete is
virtually opaque, and also has a very high ester/aldehyde
content. I can quote some analyses if needs be.

And just to prove that paxarete/ette DOES/DID have relevance to
the subject of this list, I will repeat my post of 22 November as
follows.....

From:      WOOD, PETER (WOODP)
To:        EX:RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE.DE:MALTS-L
Date:      Friday 22 November, 1996  1:52pm
Subject:   Paxarette

Following up on my suggestion about Paxarette treated casks...

I read some more about Paxarette, and came across the following
description from Philp (1989):-

"..a typical current cooperage procedure in the Scotch whisky
industry is to add 500ml of Paxarette per hogshead, or 1 litre
per butt, pressurise at 48 kPa (7psig) for 10 min and then
disgorge any unabsorbed Paxarette."

He also goes on to say that "... the true 'sherry shipping cask'
flavour...has never been reproduced by this treatment."

Another book I have (Smith, 1993) states that the practice has
been banned by the Scotch whisky industry. However, that is a
fairly recent statement, so there could still be a lot of
Paxarette treated whisky lying in casks, if not unvatted in
bottles.

Peter Wood